Saturday, July 17, 2010

But Maybe Everything That Dies Someday Comes Back

I think the following three events, at least, were important in the development of the post (second world)-war model of development:
  • The 1942 issuing of the Beveridge Report
  • The 1944 Bretton Woods conference
  • The April 1955 Bandung conference
Shouldn't the documents issued by such conferences and the whole Beveridge Report now be online somewhere? The first 20 pages of the Beveridge Report are here. Extracts from those pages and from Part V are here (mirrored).

Despite the post title, I don't think a Fordist accumulation regime can be recreated. But we need a new mode of regulation with new institutions and transformative events to set up a system that works. The current one doesn't.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Can you tell me anything about the Havana Charter, that thing we could have had instead of Bretton Woods?

Robert Vienneau said...

I am aware that Keynes made compromises at Bretton Woods. He wasn't just trying to design an ideal system; he was trying to bias it towards debtor nations, which Britain was at the time, what with Lend-Lease. Naturally, the US was not willing to go along.

I've also read about Bancor, Keynes' proposed international currency.

But I had to look up the Havana Charter; it is online. I really don't know much about it.

Paul Davidson is the author I turn to for current proposals for international financial reform based on Keynes' vision.