Thursday, November 12, 2009

"And A Whole Generation Were Butchered And Damned"

"I spent the evening walking around the streets, especially in the neighborhood of Trafalgar Square, noticing cheering crowds and making myself sensitive to the emotions of passers-by. During this and the following days, I discovered to my amazement that average men and women were delighted at the prospect of war. I had fondly imagined what most pacifists contended, that wars were forced upon a reluctant population by despotic and Machiavellian governments. I had noticed during previous years how carefully Sir Edward Grey lied in order to prevent the public from knowing the methods by which he was committing us to the support of France in the event of war. I naively imagined that when the public discovered how he had lied to them, they would be annoyed; instead of which, they were grateful to him for having spared them the moral responsibility." -- Bertrand Russell, The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell: The Middle Years: 1914-1944

No comments: